Sunday, September 2, 2007

One Less Fan!!!

Finally I got over myself and decided to get over Indian (read BCCI) Cricket. I have been trying to do this for a while but was a die-hard cricket fan. I have been a faithful even after enduring the betting scandals - not anymore, I have lost my patience. BCCI is just a crazy organization going in a direction which no logical person can comprehend. I have a strong belief it is not going to change its ways. Added to it - the team is run by self-serving players as much as it is stupidly administered by the board. The place in the Indian team is like a government job - get in once and you are assured to play for a lifetime, until your kid is ready to play. I tried even changing allegiances and cheering for another team and that did not work. Cricinfo and Rediff Cricket links are no longer in my Favourites Links list. I have taken a resolution to not actively follow Cricket at least until Sachin, Sauruv and Agarkar are out of the team for good (not rested). I will not read anymore articles on cricket while I might check scores and follow other tournaments not involving India. One less fan - nobody will miss me - but what the heck, no more money to BCCI from me.

I am confident that I will be able to keep up with my resolution since there are other things that will keep me busy and interested, at least for the next 8-10 months. NFL is going to kick-off in a couple of weeks. I have a new found interest in US College Football and the season is already underway. By the time these two seasons come to an end, NBA will enter the second half of the season and I am an avid follower of the Pistons. This was not the case before, I was only into Cricket, now I have other choices.

Outside of these sports, I am eagerly waiting for the Indian Cricket League to start. The way it is structured it is likely to develop similar to American professional sports leagues. I am assured of quality from them since they need to prove themselves against the BCCI and gain public following. At least until I get convinced it is another BCCI, I will follow them. GO ICL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment